Background

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Picadillo Stuffed Pepper Casserole

It was so absolutely yummy and delicious and so good! We ate the whole thing tonight (plus it wasn't a very big pan and I do have a giant of a husband), but we enjoyed it. I didn't make it exactly following the recipe (because I hate sweet foods unless its for dessert and this sounded like it would make it sweet and I really dislike raisins a lot), so here is the recipe below.


Picadillo Stuffed Pepper Casserole

Ingredients:

1 lb. ground beef
1/8 tsp. garlic powder OR 1 clove garlic, minced (I used fresh garlic)
1 can (about 14 1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
1/2 cup Pace® Picante Sauce (I used a chunky salsa I had in my house)
1 tsp. ground cumin1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon (I did not use this)
1/3 cup raisins (I did not use this)
1/3 cup toasted slivered almond (I did not use this)
2 medium green peppers, seeded and cut into lengthwise quarters
1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
Fresh basil leaves

I also added salt and pepper to taste and I had to cook it for 35 mins. for the peppers to be tender. It was really good even with the ingredients that I left out. Hope you enjoy!

Directions:

Cook the beef and garlic in a 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat until the beef is well browned, stirring frequently to break up meat.
Stir tomatoes, picante sauce, cumin, cinnamon, raisins and almonds into the beef. Cook until the mixture is hot and bubbling.
Arrange the peppers in a 2-quart casserole.
Spoon the beef mixture over the peppers. Cover.
Bake at 400°F. for 25 minutes or until the peppers are tender.
Uncover. Top with the cheese. Bake for 5 minutes or until the cheese melts. Garnish with the basil.

Tip: To toast almonds, arrange almonds in single layer in shallow-sided baking pan. Bake at 350°F. for 10 minutes or until they're lightly browned.

1 comment:

  1. I made this tonight (omitting all the gross stuff, but I did add some cumin) and it rocked! So yummy. I used hot Pace and one red and one green bell pepper. Next time I'm using all red, you should try it. I actually liked the taste better!

    ReplyDelete