Background

Monday, February 7, 2011

Pumpkin Breads

During this past holiday season I may have gotten a little pumpkin bread happy and I tested out three recipes. One is posted already that I received from a friend which I LOVE when she makes but it just doesn't quite come out the same when I make it, so I thought I'd master a different one and tried two more. This first one is good and we enjoyed it but the the second one listed is by far our favorite (and my test subjects favorite as well!). There is only a slight difference in the recipes but I think its what makes all the difference! Happy baking!

Downeast Maine Pumpkin Bread (AllRecipes)


Ingredients

  • 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 cup vegetable oil
  • 2/3 cup water
  • 3 cups white sugar
  • 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour three 7x3 inch loaf pans.
  2. In a large bowl, mix together pumpkin puree, eggs, oil, water and sugar until well blended. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and ginger. Stir the dry ingredients into the pumpkin mixture until just blended. Pour into the prepared pans.
  3. Bake for about 50 minutes in the preheated oven. Loaves are done when toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. 
Pumpkin Spice Bread (AllRecipes)

Ingredients

  • 3 cups sugar
  • 1 cup vegetable oil
  • 4 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1 (16 ounce) can solid pack pumpkin
  • 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
  • 1/2 cup water

Directions

  1. In a large bowl, combine sugar, oil and eggs. Add pumpkin and mix well. Combine dry ingredients; add to the pumpkin mixture alternately with water. Pour into two greased 9-in. x 5-in. x 3-in. loaf pans. Bake at 350 degrees F for 60-65 minutes or until bread tests done. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack; cool completely.
 

1 comment:

  1. Hi! I'm going have to try this recipe since I still have canned pumpkins to use up. Anyhow, I'm sorry to get in touch with you via here. I'm starting a blog roll cooking club for fellow military spouses. We will basically do a cooking challenge every month and blog about it. We would love for you to join us. I can send you the info if you like. My email is saraplicious@yahoo.com

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete